You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Telltale's Batman: The Enemy Within Episode 5 Review
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[-]
Tags
s review telltale within the enemy 5 batman episode

I was decently entertained by the first season of Telltale's Batman, but was disappointed with the lack of screen time given to the actual superhero.  Instead, Season One focused more on the Bruce Wayne side of the Batman story, giving us some fresh takes on familiar characters.  Season Two, subtitled The Enemy Within, just wrapped up the fifth and final episode, titled Same Stitch.  The season started on a high note, but a few episodes failed to do anything exciting, resulting in a somewhat stagnant middle half.  With John Doe set to transform into the Joker, he and his crew of villains attempt to carry out a plan that will destroy Gotham.  It's up to Batman to save the day, and similarly, a lot relies on this finale saving the season.

Every time I play an episode of Telltale's Batman, I find myself asking the same question: "Where's the Batman?".  For a series named after the caped crusader, he rarely shows up unless the story calls for it.  Episode 5: Same Stitch starts off solid enough, and begins by giving the player control of Batman to boot.  This episode is immediately more violent and darker than anything we've seen in the season thus far, and the exciting opening scene is an effective start.  In general, this episode harkens back to the successes of Episode 1: The Enigma, exposing players to grisly and gruesome traps.  The stakes seem very high in the beginning, but as the episode progresses, everything loses its luster.

This episode also gives us the first real look at the Joker, fully suited out and completely deranged.  Although I was disappointed with his costume and look, I was impressed with the demented and crazed character that he's become over the season.  Unlike other villains in the season, The Joker has a considerable amount of bite to back up his bark.  Speaking of his bark, the voice over work for Joker can occasionally feel overplayed.  Although I commend the effort, the Joker's over-the-top attitude and oddball laugh did little in the way of sending chills up my spine.  If anything he's a bit annoying at times, but eventually solidifies himself as a memorable villain within the universe.

Like other Telltale games, Batman: The Enemy Within boasts player choice.  Throughout the season, you will have to make some tough decisions.  These decisions alter your relationships with other characters, adding some weight to the options.  Episode 5: Same Stitch gives the player a few very tough choices to make, but besides the final act, I felt like those choices never amounted to much.  By the time the credits started to roll, I felt like I had definitely formed a bond with some of the characters, but the "moral choices" did little to reinforce that.

Generally speaking, Telltale's Batman: The Enemy Within is a decent series.  It has some really great moments and some equally bad moments, but it's a good step for the series to take.  My main complaint stays the same; you don't play as Batman enough.  If you're okay with that, and you don't mind the occasional poorly written episode, I think the second season is an improvement over the first.  It's not a great season, but it's decent enough to hold the interest of fans, and overtones of horror give some good depth to the overall experience.

Rating: 7.5/10

[-]
Quick Reply

Disable AutoMedia embedding for this link.   MP3 Playlist

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yakuza Kiwami Review (PS4) MatthewOwen 2 624 8 hours ago
Last Post: agregorasaarley5781
  Sonic AllStars Racing Transformed Review Game Reviewer 2 463 05-22-2018, 03:33 AM
Last Post: brbertospetrova7398
Star Far Cry 5 Review MatthewOwen 0 129 04-10-2018, 03:28 AM
Last Post: MatthewOwen
  Fe Review MatthewOwen 0 126 03-19-2018, 08:50 PM
Last Post: MatthewOwen
  [Game Review] Starpoint Gemini Warlords: Cycle of Warfare EndWorldGaming 0 244 11-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Last Post: EndWorldGaming