You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Contributor: DiscoveringmypathNice set of tutorials for Devs attempting to do their own graphics
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.3 Average

[-]
Tags
to their devs graphics nice of own tutorials set do for attempting

Hey there,

If you are like me, you have zero art skills; tell me to draw a circle or line and I'll mess that up. Digital graphic design tools can help the non-artist become half-way decent at creating graphics for your project.

For those skeptical but willing to give it a shot, I would recommend downloading Inkscape. It is an open-source vector graphic design tool. Vector art, just means you can draw the image as big or as small as you want, then you can scale it up to as big as you want without things getting pixelated. 

the download link is here: https://inkscape.org/en/release/0.92.2/

There are a lot of tutorials on their site that I would recommend you go through if you are going to give it a shot.

In addition, here is another link that has some tutorials that helped me when I started: https://2d-game-art-tutorials.zeef.com/c...ildenbrand

The biggest thing to remember is your not going to become a pro overnight. If you checkout my Twitter account: https://www.twitter.com/discovermypath

You can see what I have been able to accomplish after a few months of practice. I'm still not a pro, but I feel confident that I can design some decent stuff.

The key is to not give up. Start on something, and play around with it... Keep playing around with different shapes and tools that Inkscape has to offer and eventually you will come up with some decent graphics.

As a Dev it is critical to at a minimum be able to draft up some prototype graphics. You will need this skill in order to relay to your designers what you want. If you spend a little more time on it, you may even get good enough to start making your own graphics without hiring a designer.

Lastly, Google! What ever you are interested in, there are tons of tutorials out there... Just practicing and learning different concepts will go a long way!!!

Good luck if you decide to give it a go!!!

~ DMP
Discoveringmypath Game Studio

In Development: Groupers - Mark of the Beast

Need Alpha testers with good feedback!
First!